I last posted here that the Cas Russell books are coming to Tor — YEEHAW! This year has been a whirlwind of preparation for the big re-release, including a series of stellar edits with my editor at Tor, Diana Gill.
I’ve also had two more short stories published in the meantime, which I neglected to post about at the time:
- “Split Shadow” in the anthology Haunted Futures. Publishers Weekly said of my story: “the outstanding ‘Split Shadow’ by S.L. Huang, an essential portrayal of mental health attitudes and treatment.”
- “Time Travel Is Only For the Poor” in Analog Science Fiction & Fact. This one’s a tale of when society starts trying to use technology to “fix” what it sees as social ills…
- And “The Last Robot” also got an audio recording! Check it out here!
Finally, my writer friend Maddox Hahn and I started a charity Patreon we’re calling The Ink Harpies — once we hit $200, we’ll start releasing new short stories through it! I’m planning to post a bit more behind the scenes stuff about my publishing journey on the news feed as well.
So that’s what’s been happening — what’s coming up?
Zero Sum Game, of course, with the big re-release in October. But there’s more! I’ll have at least three short stories and novelettes dropping this year, including “The Woman Who Destroyed Us” in MIT Press’s Twelve Tomorrows anthology, alongside with stories by Elizabeth Bear, Liu Cixin, Ken Liu, Nnedi Okorafor, and more. And I’ll have novella in the “Hunting Monsters” universe coming out from The Book Smugglers!
Lastly, something really exciting — you can meet me in meatspace this year! I’ll be heading back to the United States, and you’ll be able to find me at the following events:
- Wiscon (May 2018, Madison WI)
- BookCon (June 2018, NYC), where I’ll be on this panel with Charlie Jane Anders, V.E. Schwab, and Seth Dickinson
- This Twelve Tomorrows promotional event, with Ken Liu and Elizabeth Bear (June 2018, Boston)
- Worldcon (August 2018, San Jose)
- New York City Comic Con (October 2018, NYC)
(That list might change a bit as the year goes on — subscribe to my newsletter for up-to-date announcements.)
If you’re going to be at any of those, come say hi!
That’s the plan ramping up to my Zero Sum Game release. And after THAT…
After that, we shall see. 😀